English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My colleague has always something to advise, whatever you eat or play and he sometimes tries to dig out information from you and again advise on it. I just hate to get any feedback from him: if what I am eating is good or bad or how many people I am inviting on my daughter's birthday (none of his matter)!

I am looking for a word for that type of person.

share|improve this question
The verb is advise. Advice is a noun. – RegDwigнt May 6 '14 at 17:35
I agree with you. I just posted without review. – user74171 May 7 '14 at 16:23
Opinionated works. Bossy also works for this meaning. Admittedly, there are nuances to whichever word you use, but in AmE these would convey your meaning well. – Mike May 25 '14 at 11:25
Related. – tchrist Jun 7 '14 at 20:41

Officious: objectionably aggressive in offering one's unrequested and unwanted services, help, or advice; meddlesome: an officious person. 2. marked by or proceeding from such forwardness: officious interference.

share|improve this answer
That's the word I was looking for! This is the best answer. – Will May 5 '14 at 23:25
@Will Is it the best answer? Or are you being officious? ;) – bobobobo May 6 '14 at 9:16
Haha, well played :) – Will May 6 '14 at 14:28

Consider “busybody”.

And here's a better translation of your description:

My colleague always gives unwanted advice. He's always prying and commenting on things, like what I choose to eat, or what music I like. I don't like when he volunteers his opinion on things that aren't any of his business. He's such a busybody.

share|improve this answer
This, or "bossy" to put a bit more of the "imposing his own rules" feeling into it. – Rupe May 25 '14 at 13:23

I guess you are thinking about: Mr. know it all

Someone who believes they've got the answer to every question even if the question hasn't been asked or if they really don't have the answer (... but of course they believe they do). This is not a shy individual, but rather someone whose ego is over flowing primarily through their mouth, but seems to have come from the other end of their digestive system.

share|improve this answer
In my experience, the "Mr." is optional. – FracturedRetina May 5 '14 at 23:27

Stickybeak, perhaps? Though that might not be as commonly used in America as in Australia.

share|improve this answer
Never heard this before (from the UK) but I like it :) – Adsy May 6 '14 at 9:52
I like it too! But busybody probably does have a more negative feel towards it. – Mogginson May 8 '14 at 0:47

Meddlesome or "know it all" works probably best for informal and non-work related situations.
If it is someone who likes to force his/her way of working/thinking on to work-related issues officious seems to me more appropriate.

share|improve this answer

One term that seems to apply here is buttinsky (sometimes spelled buttinski or butinski):

n. One who is prone to butting in; a meddler

Source: theFreeDictionary.com

It's slang, and it may not be common outside the US, but it might work in your case.

share|improve this answer

Just imposing would carry the meaning. "He is imposing", or "he is an imposing person" means that he tends to impose his opinion on people.

share|improve this answer
I think imposing today is meant more often to describe someone with great presence: "the young squire stood before the king, his company of knights standing at his side, imposing in their gleaming armor and silent reverie." In this case it's almost the opposite of what you suggest, because the imposing people are silent, rather than nosey. – TylerH May 6 '14 at 13:02

A person that wants to impose his rules everywhere and advise is a peremptory person.

leaving no opportunity for denial or refusal; imperious; positive or assertive in speech, tone, manner, etc.

share|improve this answer

Big sister. Would have to say "her" rules.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.