English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a proper word for describing the person who involves in sexual harassment.? I thought that it would be sexual harasser, but i am not sure whether it is right or wrong. Can anyone point the right word to represent such persons..?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Consider using harasser, which is used by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to describe sexual harassment in the workplace. Sexual harasser is also used, though probably to a lesser extent, based a cursory search on the Internet. It does show up in such places as the The University of Nebraska at Kearney website and the academic literature on sexual harassment (Example article 1; Example article 2).

The Wikipedia article on sexual harassment contains these additional classes of harassers:

  • Public harasser
  • Private harasser
  • Predatory harasser
  • Dominant harasser
  • Street harasser

More generally (and perhaps for more severe incidents), the word perpetrator can be used to describe someone who perpetrates wrongdoing such as sexual harassment. This journal article, for example, refers to "sexual harassment perpetrators."

Some of the people who have been accused of sexual harassment are listed in the National Sexual Harassment Registry.

FYI, all of this information is available via Google search.

share|improve this answer
I am sorry but people who are sexual harassing in the workplace are not sex offenders or on the national registry. This is very confusing and if perpetrator is your answer I would take the rest out. The context is different. – RyeɃreḁd May 5 '14 at 11:43
@RyeɃreḁd Thanks, I edited my answer to reflect your feedback. – SEL May 5 '14 at 12:05

It is a serious accusation, and open to interpretation, so normally one would use careful language such as "the person alleged to have harassed" unless some legal judgement has been rendered.

The Ontario labour laws on workplace harassment (not just sexual) seem to avoid such references entirely. Their definition is "Engaging in a course of vexatious comment or conduct against a worker in a workplace that is known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome".

share|improve this answer
"ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome" aaaah… Canada… – Pierre Arlaud May 5 '14 at 13:16

He can be defined also sexual abuser or sexual offender , but your definition fits very well,

share|improve this answer
Both of these insinuate much more than harassment. – RyeɃreḁd May 5 '14 at 11:44
Offender in particular suggests someone who has been convicted of committing a criminal act. – Graham Borland May 5 '14 at 16:35

I think the non-legal normal name we would give to such a person is pervert.

"My pervert boss slaps my ass when ever he tells me something."

share|improve this answer
I think 'pervert' has much stronger implications than sexual harasser! – Josh61 May 5 '14 at 16:30
Also anyone who upvoted Josh's statement would like to know why and if you are a native English speaker. – RyeɃreḁd May 5 '14 at 16:34

The proper word depends upon the seriousness of the harassment and the response of the harassed person. It could be anything from "jerk" to "defendant".

share|improve this answer

Sex pest, stalker and kerb crawler are also possible, depending on the situation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.