English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a word that does not have a negative connotation and is a succinct general term for a: non user, but vocal, stakeholder.

Arbitrary example:

Say a new road was going to be built through an area. What would you call a person who is not directly impacted (lives in a different area) but would make a submission (for / against) its construction? e.g., "It will give the elderly better access to X resource", "It will harm Y bird's migration path."

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The general legal term would be an advocate.

a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy.

Another legal term that I don't think meets your scenario is guardian but is often used for a person that watches over another person or public interest.

Two very similar words that have less legalese are champion or crusader.

share|improve this answer

I would say they are an interested observer.

That distinguishes them from an interested party, who is clearly involved in the situation.

share|improve this answer

Describing them as being "community minded" would be a way of putting a positive spin on it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.