Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a word or phrase that neans someone who doesn't learn from his mistakes or makes the same mistakes again?

share|improve this question
can be a noun or adjective or anything that implies the meaning. –  vickyace Apr 20 '14 at 11:12
Related. –  tchrist Jun 7 '14 at 20:47

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

In the criminal justice world, they are known as repeat offenders. There is no reason that phrase could not be utilized (a bit poetically) to other spheres.

A similar term is recidivist

Denoting a person who repeatedly reoffends

A common quote, often misattributed to Einstein, is

Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

It likely was first used in publications by Narcotics Anonymous.

share|improve this answer

All people make mistakes. Most people make mistakes repeatedly. Some people make the same mistake very frequently before they learn. I would call them slow learners.

share|improve this answer
"I would call them slow learners." So would Thomas Pynchon. (-: –  Jim Mack Apr 20 '14 at 17:08
.............explain the reference............. –  Gary's Student Apr 20 '14 at 17:38
pynchon.pomona.edu/slowlearner –  Jim Mack Apr 20 '14 at 19:33
................... Thanks! ............ –  Gary's Student Apr 20 '14 at 20:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.