English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A Swedish colleague has asked for my suggestion for web app page titles. The task has left me and a fellow native speaker stumped... The answers should apply to British and American English.

  1. A page for users to "clock in" and "clock out". We're even unsure whether or not there is a better term for indicating presence at work than this.
  2. A page to view all clocked times. My initial thought was "timesheet"?


share|improve this question
Good question, I don't recall a proper name for those machines except 'clocking-in machine'. Everywhere I worked that had one, you were simply told to 'clock-in/out' at the 'clocking-in machine' – Frank Apr 14 '14 at 8:00

One punches in / clocks in and punches out / clocks out using a time card inserted into a time clock, clocking-in machine or time recorder. The resulting data might be recorded in/on a timesheet or log.

Today, one might record similar information in a computer-based system by logging in and logging out.

share|improve this answer
I hadn't even thought of logging in/out. Thanks for your reply! – Angie Merryweather Apr 14 '14 at 13:09

"Sign In" and "Sign Out" is also used when the clock metaphor isn't as accurate.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.