English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there another word for individual letters of the alphabet, perhaps a typographical reference?

share|improve this question
A word for individual letters? That's a tough one, but I'd like to buy a word: letter. – Cole Johnson Apr 12 '14 at 21:01


A glyph is an element of writing: An individual mark on a written medium that contributes to the meaning of what is written.

In typography, a glyph has a slightly different definition: it is "the specific shape, design, or representation of a character".

It is a particular graphical representation, in a particular typeface, of an element of written language, which could be a grapheme, or part of a grapheme, or sometimes several graphemes in combination (a composed glyph)

Note: It goes beyond letters and covers marks in alphabetic systems as well (like a diacritic mark)

share|improve this answer

Consider character

A printed or written letter or symbol.

Also sort

(often plural) (printing) any of the individual characters making up a fount of type

share|improve this answer

Character. Take a look at the Character Map on your computer.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.