English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the word for act of "demanding for something (many be a toy) repeatedly along with a monotonous sound (not very loudly and not crying)"?

I guess 'whine', 'whimper', or, 'solicit' would not be applicable.

Is that 'nagging'?

share|improve this question
"Normal child", of course. – Kris Apr 11 '14 at 5:05
The Raineys, Q&A: The Persistent Child familylife.com/articles/topics/parenting/challenges/… – Kris Apr 11 '14 at 5:09
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Both nagging and pestering would fit.

nag: to annoy by persistent faultfinding, complaints, or demands.

pester: trouble or annoy (someone) with frequent or persistent requests or interruptions

And there is a phenomenon called "pester power":

the ability possessed by a child to nag a parent relentlessly until the parent succumbs and agrees to the child's request

share|improve this answer

The verb is to pester:

pester : (transitive) To bother, harass or annoy persistently.

A mother might say to her child, "If you stop pestering me about it, I might consider it."

A more protracted and calculated persistent request for something might be called a campaign

campaign : a connected series of operations designed to bring about a particular result

Suzy has been campaigning to get that doll for two months straight.

share|improve this answer

The Italians have this great word, frignare, which describes to a T that low whining, nenene whimpering noise that annoying spoilt children often make when they are demanding something, usually attention.

The equivalent in English would be either whinge or whine.

  • Whine a long, high-pitched complaining cry
  • Whinge Complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way

You could add the two together and say:

Their three-year-old doesn't stop whinging and whining. She (or he) is driving me nuts

Whinging and whining

share|improve this answer
Does my answer appear unsympathetic? I actually like kids, but erm... I had the most spoilt niece ever, she only stopped whining when she got into university. – Mari-Lou A Apr 11 '14 at 7:38

A whining child was called a carker but the term is now defined as burdensome, annoying Examples of CARKING

share|improve this answer

Consider "badgering" and "begging."

badger: to ask or tell someone again and again to do something.

beg: to ask (something) in a very serious and emotional way for something needed or wanted very much.

share|improve this answer

The word I distinctly remember being used most is craze . He keeps crazing me for a baby elephant.

But I am not sure if that is peculiar to an East Anglian use of craze, or if it is normal across the UK.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.