English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I want my document to be displayed the same on different devices, I can embed used fonts in the document.

But sometimes I want my documents to take less space so I want to remove previously embedded fonts.

How should I call the action in the second case?

share|improve this question
Hmmm...for fonts in a document, there may be a better word, but I generally consider to extract to be the opposite of to embed. Remove would also work. – Mike Apr 9 '14 at 2:27

How about "disembedding?"

In the font section, there's an option to disembed selected fonts.

share|improve this answer
There is also unembed but "disembed" seems like more common when you check Google Books (even there is no proper dictionary entry). Though there is also a sociological sense of disembedding and it seems like it is the primary usage. – ermanen Apr 8 '14 at 17:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.