English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Writing worksheets for students at university, I'd like to distinguish tasks intended to be solved in tutorial classes from tasks intended as homework. What would be the appropriate term to refer to non-homework tasks intended for class?

So far my worksheets have been in German, and the term I used was “Präsenzaufgaben”, meaning tasks (“Aufgaben”) intended for when people are present (noun “Präsenz”) in class. But your solution need not be a close translation of this as long as the meaning is clear or the term is established. Preferably both.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

How about "classwork" and "seatwork?"

share|improve this answer
I'd go for classwork – Mynamite Apr 7 '14 at 20:27
In my experience in the US classwork is any homework associated with a class. This has no regard to where you would do the homework. It could be in class or out of. I have never heard of the term seatwork, but I guess it would imply [that you need to be in your seat] better than classwork. – RyeɃreḁd Apr 7 '14 at 20:44
@RyeɃreḁd The term "seatwork" implies work to be done by students at their desks in the classroom. – Elian Apr 7 '14 at 21:17
To me, “seatwork” somehow suggests a strict setup with each student working on his own at his seat. I prefer students to discuss stuff in groups, without anyone being fixed to his seat, so for this reason I'd intuitively prefer “classwork”. But of course my associations might be completely unfounded, since I hadn't known either term before reading this answer. Unfortunately, those M-W entries you linked to are not available for free, and apparently my university doesn't have a subscription (yet). Will probably have a look at the printed version today. – MvG Apr 8 '14 at 7:16
@MvG You might want to consider this link then dictionary.reference.com/browse/classwork – Elian Apr 8 '14 at 8:36

We preface stuff like this in our corporate LMS with "in-class" or "instructor led".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.