English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the one-word for a piece — art piece etc., maybe topic, subject — that has gained popularity through negative reviews or appraisals?

In other words, I am looking for a one-word noun or adjective that is the opposite of rave in the sense "favorable critism".

share|improve this question
So first you need the opposite of a rave review, and then you need one that has gained positive notice as a result? Or can it be any notice whatsoever, even a negative one? That is, it can not just famous but infamous? – tchrist Apr 2 '14 at 18:20
Do you want a verb, noun, adjective? rave can be a noun, verb or adjective. A bit more context would be helpful. – medica Apr 2 '14 at 18:30
"Raving" doesn't particular mean good or bad: it can usually mean excited talking. – xserf Apr 2 '14 at 18:38
If the review is angry enough, you could use RAVE in the RAVING MAD sense... – Oldcat Apr 2 '14 at 22:09
It's not clear to me how these requests are connected. Something that has gained popularity through negative reviews is not something that I would name or describe with an antonym for “rave”. Can you share anything about the context of this need that would clarify how this is one thing? – Tyler James Young Apr 3 '14 at 21:24

Well an antonym of "rave" would probably be "pan".


a harsh criticism

but perhaps you really want notorious,


well-known or famous especially for something bad

share|improve this answer
Rant also goes well with rave, although not in this context. +1 for notorious. – Bradd Szonye Apr 2 '14 at 20:05
There are plenty of famous works that are referred to as having been "universally panned by critics". My vote's here. – Andrew Kozak Apr 3 '14 at 3:14
Infamous is an alternative to notorious, though many people either misuse or misunderstand the word (assuming it to mean simply famous). – Doc Apr 3 '14 at 18:08
@Doc I know, see my comment to the "infamy" answer below. Also, tchrist commented with "infamous" almost as soon as the question was posted. – Elliott Frisch Apr 3 '14 at 18:09
@ElliottFrisch Just trying to add detail for any reader's sake. Not everyone reads comments to non-top-voted answers or even the question when browsing for their own sake. Wasn't trying to imply that you were in any way unaware. – Doc Apr 3 '14 at 19:24

I would go with infamy or its close cousin infamous.

the state of being well known for some bad quality or deed.

share|improve this answer
the word for the " piece of art , maybe topic which has gained infamy" ? i feel the question could be paraphrased like this.... but it is not "the word" – Argot Apr 2 '14 at 18:36
@Argot It could be an infamous (or notorious) piece. – Elliott Frisch Apr 2 '14 at 18:52
this is i like , "close cousin"-- phrases like these cheer me up for some reason – Argot Apr 2 '14 at 18:55
I hope it's not because you have feelings for a cousin! – RyeɃreḁd Apr 2 '14 at 18:57

There is a loan phrase from French: succès de scandale

(Literary & Literary Critical Terms) success of a play, book, etc, because of notoriety or its scandalous character

[literally: success of scandal]

share|improve this answer
Seems similar in meaning (and intent) to "no such thing as bad publicity". – Elliott Frisch Apr 2 '14 at 18:50

Scathing comes to mind as an adjective.

bitterly severe, as a remark: another restaurant has fallen victim to one of her scathing reviews

share|improve this answer

In BrE, rubbish, used as a verb, is a common word these days for the act of pouring scorn on a performance or an artistic work. His book was rubbished by the critics. He rubbished her stand-up act.

share|improve this answer
Though, in my experience, this is used only by tabloid newspapers. – David Richerby Apr 3 '14 at 8:30
The closest AmE might be trashed. – Phil Perry Apr 3 '14 at 21:36

Savage can be used as a noun an adjective or a verb for this purpose.

to attack or criticize thoroughly or remorselessly; excoriate: a play savaged by the critics.

A savage review

share|improve this answer
Post edit: there is no noun usage for savage in this sense; it is only a verb. All nounal usages for savage are for a type of person, none relating to a critic. – Patrick M Apr 3 '14 at 15:29

Something popular despite (and because of) widespread negative reception

“Notorious” is certainly a fine word for describing “a piece [. . .] that has gained popularity through negative reviews or appraisals”. I would also consider use of related terms like “guilty pleasure”, “kitch”, “(something) we love to hate”, or “so bad it's good” depending on the material and context. There's also the term “cult” to describe these sorts of pieces (esp. “cult classic”) or their followings.

If you have some space to explain yourself, you might consider coining “the Regretsy effect” which you could describe as the curious phenomenon of explosive sales after a craft posting was criticized on the (now defunct) crafting ‘lowlight’ aggregator.

Antonym for “rave”

1. Commentary on available options

— — Verb — —
“Pan” is used a lot, but I hear and read it much more often as a past-tense verb (not a noun), e.g.:

The film was universally panned by critics.

Ebert panned the film, decrying its sympathetic portrayal of a violent protagonist.

— — Adjective — —
If the word describes “review”, I think you're better off using “very critical” or “scathing”, c.f.:

I read a scathing review of that movie.
I read a rave review of that movie.

— — Noun — —
In that example, “review” could be taken out of the latter, and it would still make sense as a noun:

I read a rave about that movie.

If your desire is a replacement for that usage, there isn’t a great one-word substitution. “Pan” is fine, but is less recognizable:

I read a pan of that movie.

You might be better off just forcing the verb in that case:

I read a panning of that movie.

There's also “(a) rant”, but that is difficult to recognize outside of collocations with “rave”.

2. My suggestions

It's not a single word, but as far as noun phrases go you might consider “hit piece” as in:

“Did you read the A.V. Club review of Howard Cantour.com?
“Yeah, basically a hit piece.”

This has lots of problems itself, and is basically a metaphorical usage of the primary definition that has more to do with politics and is very similar to “smear campaign”. It also adds in a bit of negativity about the review, possibly conveying that the person using this term believed the review was overly harsh or resorted to ad hominem.

If you can trust context to communicate that you are talking about a review, you might just go fully metaphorical and say something like:

Ebert's evisceration of Transformers comes as no surprise to anyone who knows his opinion of Michael Bay's characteristically baroque usage of CG.

There's also “takedown”, for which you probably won't find much dictionary backing (I couldn't) but might be useful in its modern usage (such as seen here).

share|improve this answer
Very nice answer... but rather then "takedown" I might use put-down. – Elliott Frisch Apr 4 '14 at 18:09

For the sake of alliteration, ridiculed

share|improve this answer
Alliteration with what? – Tyler James Young Apr 3 '14 at 21:28
As in "raved or ridiculed" – mr.musicman Apr 5 '14 at 1:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.