English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does English have a specific word for a hole between the kitchen and the living room that is used to get food directly to the dining table?

German has the nice Durchreiche, which approximately translates to hand-through. I am ideally looking for a nice translation of that word.

kitchen hole

share|improve this question
What, "kitchen hole" isn't fancy enough for you? Some people are so hard to please. – Robusto Mar 12 '11 at 20:51
@Robusto it contrasts nicely with Car hole :) – Pekka 웃 Mar 12 '11 at 20:53
I clicked this question wondering what in the world a "kitchen hole" could be. – tankadillo Mar 12 '11 at 21:38
@intuited, you might have to explain that one in some contexts. I (native en-gb speaker) understand "pie-hole" and "cake-hole" as "mouth", most commonly encountered following the words "Shut your". – Peter Taylor Mar 13 '11 at 14:32
We just called ours a hatch. – FumbleFingers Mar 23 '11 at 0:32
up vote 22 down vote accepted

It is also called a serving hatch.

An opening in a wall at window height for the purpose of serving food or other items.

The cook passed the dishes through the serving hatch.

from Wiktionary

share|improve this answer

I usually hear it called a kitchen pass-through.

share|improve this answer
Or just "pass-through". Google [ define pass-through ] gives: “an opening that resembles a window between two rooms (especially a shelved opening between a kitchen and dining room that is used to pass dishes)”, citing WordNet. – MετάEd Oct 1 '12 at 14:30

In restaurants, I've heard that area is referred to as the pass and that is what we call it in our house.

share|improve this answer

I've known it to be called a breakfast-bar.

A similar feature is a dumb-waiter, which is used to move crockery and food between different levels especially in hotels.

share|improve this answer
A breakfast bar is something completely different This is a breakfast bar. summerplace406.com/Pictures/Kitchen_Breakfast_BarN.jpg – Ralph Gallagher Mar 13 '11 at 1:56
@Ralph: It looks like some serving hatches can double as breakfast bars, including the one pictured above. It's set with place mats and I think it shows the top of a stool. – Callithumpian Mar 13 '11 at 14:17

In French, it is known as a passe-plat, which is elegant and simple. It can also be translated simply as hatch, which might be better than serving hatch as any sentence employing it is likely to involve a serving context which would make it redundant.

share|improve this answer
In spanish is the same: pasa-platos (pasa=pass, platos=plates) buscon.rae.es/draeI/… – Dr. belisarius Mar 13 '11 at 2:57
Very nice, thanks for this! This question is in the context of a software naming decision and passe-plat is an interesting option. – Pekka 웃 Mar 13 '11 at 14:34

Not meaning to observe the obvious, but "service window" would be appropriate.

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Sep 29 '12 at 0:26

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.