English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As per title, what is the name of a group of dragonflies? Some friends say it is a mob, some say it is a hover. Anyone?

share|improve this question
Is "swarm" not applicable to dragonflies ? – Alain Pannetier Φ Mar 12 '11 at 9:33
Related: Terms for collections of animals. – RegDwigнt Mar 12 '11 at 12:21
a glimmer of dragonflies is the term I like to use – user91366 Sep 13 '14 at 17:27
I would say a "squadron". – Hot Licks Apr 27 at 18:17
up vote 6 down vote accepted

A flight or cluster of dragonflies :)

share|improve this answer
Thanks mate. A quick google search for those proved your answer correct. I guess I didn't know what to search in the first place. Thanks again – Luis Mar 12 '11 at 12:18
You're welcome. Search for "collective noun animal wiki". – stormscape Mar 16 '11 at 10:11
It's worth pointing out that these collective nouns have a very artificial history compared to that of most words. Most of them first appeared in The Book of St Albans in about 1500 and wasn't what you'd call a book of great learning, it was full of humour, lore, and arbitrary assertions. Not that these are bad things, but students shouldn't get too hung up on learning the more obscure collective, unless they are inclined to do so, as they have very little currency. – Dan Sheppard Sep 13 '14 at 17:42

Beauty. Used in the book, The Bees, by Laline Paul, she describes a group of dragonflies as "a beauty of dragonflies."

share|improve this answer

I'd suggest, a cloud of dragonflies


: a large number of things (such as insects) that move together through the air in a group


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.