English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can anyone help me find a little bit more polite way to say "I am pissed off at you"?

I know this is used to show anger or irritation, but this is bit harsh.

So, do you have any other option?

share|improve this question
Nothing will get someone so pissed off as telling him "I am pissed off at you" -- it's not really harsh at all, when used in the right context. – Kris Nov 23 '13 at 13:35

13 Answers 13

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Some more possibilities:

I'm ticked off at you.

I'm teed off at you.

I'm upset with you.

You've really irked me.

I'm peeved about this.

share|improve this answer
+1 for teed off at you – Richa Mar 11 '11 at 4:38
+1 for the last two sentences. – Karan Aug 17 '12 at 14:11

You can say

I'm angry with you.


I'm annoyed at what you did.


What you did bothered me a great deal.

or any number of things.

By the way, if you do want to use pissed off, use at, not to, for the preposition:

I am pissed off at you.

or even just

I'm pissed at you.

share|improve this answer
Isn't the last American? In UK pissed without the off means drunk. Also I would add: You (or your actions) piss me off... – mplungjan Mar 10 '11 at 13:14
@mplungjan: Although pissed is a euphemism for drunk (along with an almost infinte selection of more delightfully obscure ones), almost any Brit would understand that to be pissed at someone is to be angry at them. – Andy F Mar 10 '11 at 13:24
I've only heard of a piss-up - meaning a party where the aim is to become drunk – mplungjan Mar 10 '11 at 13:50
It's worth pointing out that in Australia "to piss off" also means "to depart". "I was so pissed off with the boss that I pissed off to the pub." – John Machin Mar 11 '11 at 3:15
To piss off means to depart in the UK too. Telling someone to piss off is another way of telling them to go away. – Carl Smith Feb 18 '13 at 20:39

I am ... with you. Not at you.

I am annoyed/ticked off/angry/pissed off with you!


I am annoyed/ticked off/angry/pissed off at you!

suggests more aggression any an ambiguity as to whether the listener well be covered in urine.

It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

share|improve this answer
+1 for suggestions – Richa Mar 11 '11 at 4:37

If you're looking for less intense feeling:

I'm irritated.

I'm bothered.

However, synonyms for 'pissed off' should really communicate the full fury of the phrase, so I'd recommend:

I'm livid.

share|improve this answer
  • I am irritated with you
  • I am cross with you
  • I am mad at you
share|improve this answer

I was really pissed off at someone the other day so after fuming in private and thinking about it for a bit I told the person in a calm yet firm manner what I was pissed off about (I had condensed it to about 12 words) and then I said (calmly yet firmly-rather matter-of-factly) "I am not at all happy about this." So now, when I'm pissed off at someone, that's what I'm going to say.

share|improve this answer
That sounds really stilted to me. I might even find it funny if someone says that to me. – Mohit May 17 '13 at 6:37
@Mohit That might depend where you are. To a Brit. not at all happy is a polite but very firm/strong way of saying you are extremely displeased with a situation. – TrevorD May 17 '13 at 11:51

"I'm annoyed with you", or "I'm angry".

share|improve this answer

I just recently used "royally miffed", even though harsher, more vulgar words were more appropriate...

share|improve this answer

I am irked with you. Short. Efficient. Conveys the meaning.

share|improve this answer

"I'm seething at you" though if the object of your ire is obvious, "I'm seething" on it's own can be stronger.

share|improve this answer
Seething: That's a good word for pissed. – Carl Smith Feb 18 '13 at 20:35

I always liked fuming ~ He was absolutely fuming when he found out ~ I wouldn't use it formally though.

share|improve this answer

You could say you were dischuffed, a useful word that was common a while ago, but seems to be disused now.

share|improve this answer
Never heard that expression - but I would certainly understand it! – TrevorD May 17 '13 at 11:53

Do not say "I am pissed off" rather "I am disappointed in you" slowly and with heartfelt sadness. Anyone with a conscious knows if they did wrong will take this comment to heart, listen and remember. Being a disappointment is hard in life.

share|improve this answer

protected by J.R. Nov 23 '13 at 15:00

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.