English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Joyful, happy, angry, hilarious, lovable, annoying, poignant, melancholic, depressing, cheerful, hateful, etc. All these ones are adjectives. Some of them can be applied to those objects who experience those feelings that these adjectives imply. Some of them can be applied to those objects that only cause those feelings in others. However, they are all related to feelings whether those are physical feelings (those that one's body can feel, like pain) or "soulish" feelings (those that are felt in one's soul, like liking or sympathy).

So, the question is how to name all these adjectives? Is there any term for such ones? (A term consisting of only one adjective is preferable).

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think emotive (or emotional) might fit the bill.

share|improve this answer
Yes Alex. I think that's the term I am looking for. Thank you. – brilliant Mar 10 '11 at 9:42

affective – "relating to moods, feelings, and attitudes"

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Sep 1 '15 at 5:17

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.