Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Joyful, happy, angry, hilarious, lovable, annoying, poignant, melancholic, depressing, cheerful, hateful, etc. All these ones are adjectives. Some of them can be applied to those objects who experience those feelings that these adjectives imply. Some of them can be applied to those objects that only cause those feelings in others. However, they are all related to feelings whether those are physical feelings (those that one's body can feel, like pain) or "soulish" feelings (those that are felt in one's soul, like liking or sympathy).

So, the question is how to name all these adjectives? Is there any term for such ones? (A term consisting of only one adjective is preferable).

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think emotive (or emotional) might fit the bill.

share|improve this answer
Yes Alex. I think that's the term I am looking for. Thank you. –  brilliant Mar 10 '11 at 9:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.