Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it crack? Snap? Wh-tch? Whop-eesh?

Alternatively, if I don't use the actual noise. Do I write: The whip rang out? Cracked?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 13 down vote accepted

The sound is generally referred to as the crack of a whip or a whip crack, and since crack is already onomatopoeic, you can't go wrong with it. Crack! See. That hurt a little, didn't it?

share|improve this answer
This is, of course, only one of the many sounds that a whip can make. Specifically the one made by a rapid back and forth movement of the handle causing the tip of the whip to move supersonically. Whips can also slither, zip, slap, thump and make any number of other sounds. –  RedGrittyBrick Mar 10 '11 at 16:20
But according to Snap it is Crack ;) Like the crack of the whip I snap attack - Front to back in this thing called rap –  mplungjan Apr 26 '11 at 9:31
...and you don't want that. :) –  cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Feb 28 '12 at 0:47

If we're coining onomatopoeia, I think sounds like wuh-PSSSH!

share|improve this answer
It's definitely a *kuh-CHHHH" to me heh. –  Noldorin Feb 28 '12 at 1:53
Admittedly, the version in my head is from "Baby Got Back". –  cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Feb 28 '12 at 3:25

I think it could be written, Ker-Chack! or Ker-Snap!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.