English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I always heard terms like bikers, racers, car racers, which are specially used for the people who drives fast. But what do we call people who drive slow, or at normal speed, or very slow (for “senior citizens” who drive really slow)?

Drivers cannot be use particularly for these as it denotes everybody.

So is there any particular term for these people?

share|improve this question
The British TV programme 'Top Gear' has popularised the name 'Captain Slow'. – Edwin Ashworth Mar 15 '14 at 9:51
"Captain Slow" as in 'James May" yeah thats also good. – Waseem Mar 15 '14 at 10:51
Snails - but depending on purpose, kerb crawlers? – Leon Conrad Mar 15 '14 at 11:25
The term I hear most in the UK is "slowbies". I wouldn't recommend "Captain Slow" unless you know the person you are talking to is familiar with Top Gear. (Believe it or not I'd never heard of that one until today). – Pharap Mar 15 '14 at 17:02
Is there any particular english term so that we cannot relate these with the "snails" or "kerb crawlers". "Slowbies" again the term for everyone who is slow. – Waseem Mar 16 '14 at 13:51

"Sunday driver" is a term that might suit you.

share|improve this answer
I never heard of "sunday driver" I read about this and yeah it is the term for me right now, but I need some more terms for these. Thanks for the answer – Waseem Mar 15 '14 at 9:41
Where I live (Netherlands) the term Sunday driver is used too, but it is primarily aimed at people who are inexperienced drivers (only drive to church on Sundays) and therefore drive either slow or erratically or a combination of both. Can also be used to indicate someone who doesn't anticipate (busy) traffic very well (because of a lack of experience under such road conditions). – Tonny Mar 15 '14 at 16:33
@Tonny I also search the meaning of this and I found the same thing thats why ask about more precise term. – Waseem Mar 16 '14 at 13:47
As we all know, links can break or rot over time, could you edit your answer, please? – Mari-Lou A May 24 '15 at 8:01

Poky driver does the trick I believe.

2. American English
doing things very slowly, especially in a way that is annoying:
I got behind some poky driver on the freeway.

Longman Dictionary

share|improve this answer
The downvote (not mine) is for not giving the definition, and a link, which I did for you. – Mari-Lou A May 24 '15 at 7:53
d'alar'cop's answer is only marginally better because it has a link, but as we know links can break or rot over time – Mari-Lou A May 24 '15 at 7:59
@Mari-Lou A This is not a regular thing that I do. I just came across this post, and thought I could be of some help (I gave reference in my original post I think, without links or direct definitions that is). Downvotes don't bother me. – Masoud-Ata May 24 '15 at 11:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.