English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the name of this kind of act? It is commonly seen between friends. (I mean the act between two people, not necessarily 4 people like this one.)

Or can you describe it with a few words?

share|improve this question
If they start doing dance steps, you could call it "a chorus line." – Robusto Mar 9 '11 at 10:49
up vote 5 down vote accepted

This is normally described rather literally as "putting an arm around someone's shoulder".

For example: Mike put his arm around Tracey's shoulder while they were watching the football game.

share|improve this answer

It would not be an "act". "Act" implies a performance of some kind, like in front of an audience. "Action" would be all right. "Gesture" would be a good choice. Though it generally implies movements during speech, it can also simply mean "posture" but carries a social connotation, too. A person can have a particular posture while alone, but a gesture would require at least one other person to observe it or to be the recipient of it for it to have meaning.

Example: He put his arm around my shoulder as a reassuring gesture.

share|improve this answer

A more succinct phrase would be shoulder embrace.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.