English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is one word that can be used to describe someone who likes to party and go to clubs?

share|improve this question
Socialite. 'Party animal' is a single lexeme but two orthographic words. But it is in use nowadays. – Edwin Ashworth Mar 2 '14 at 8:57
This can probably be solved by using standard references. But, I've offered some bits of slang below that might be helpful. – David M Mar 2 '14 at 14:17

In addition to Edwin Ashworth's excellent suggestions of socialite and party animal I can make a few suggestions.

All of these uses are slang/idiomatic hence they might be readily available in a thesaurus or standard reference.

Partier (alternatively partyer) - usually a negative connotation.

He flunked out of college because he was too busy being a partier to study.

(Note - the proper usage of this term is to describe a party attendee. This usage is slangy.)

Clubber - similar to partier.

That girl is a real clubber! I always see her stumbling home at dawn!

(Note - the proper usage of this term is to describe someone wielding a club, typically to beat something like a baby seal to death.)

Also, an old-fashioned term: Good Time Charlie

I think this usage is quite antiquated, but it remains useful.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.