English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

One of our users, Stan Rogers, mentioned there was such a distinction, I think, when he answered a question and talked about how the orthography of foreign loan-words typically changes to conform with the usual rules of English spelling. In passing he used the word rôle as an example and said something to the effect that implied that artists made a distinction between the two spellings. Anyway, if I’m remembering the episode correctly, can someone make that distinction clear to me?

share|improve this question
As a native English speaker, the only distinction I'm aware of is that people who speak French are more likely to use the circumflex. – Peter Taylor Mar 8 '11 at 7:10
Just read Henry Seton Merriman aka Hugh Stowell Scott's wonderful The Last Hope and noticed 'rôle' used throughout - published posthumously, it seems, in 1904. Glad to read the etymology as I couldn't work out which letter/s would be missing. – user11554 Aug 2 '11 at 5:19
Or one could say that if the circumflex is good enough for John le Carré, then it's probably good enough for the rest of us. – user28423 Oct 14 '12 at 14:46
there is another factor; once upon a time, to work in three languages, for example English, French, and German one needed three typewriters, one for each language. IBM created the Selectric typewriter, however, one still might need three interchangeable "typeballs". The PC eliminated the need for duplication through its design. The US "international" keyboard layout makes typing words like français, rôle, über, et cetera so simple that there is little reason to avoid diacritics; personally my preference is rôle. – gerryLowry Nov 25 '15 at 16:49
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language gives four definitions of role, the first of which is

  1. also rôle A character or part played by a performer.

while the other three definitions (related to functions or characteristic behaviour) do not offer rôle. So for some people the circumflex indicates a particular meaning. Not for me.

share|improve this answer
The other three definitions are extensions of the original meaning (a character of part played by a performer). Once a word has been sufficiently well-adopted to undergo semantic broadening, it's probably time to stop using funny foreign squiggles to write it. (The circumflex, by the way, indicates that one or more letters had been given the old heave-ho in the original French. It had been rolle -- literally, the roll of paper or parchment upon which the part had been written.) – bye Mar 8 '11 at 8:47
@Stan Rogers Since you're so clear on the etymology and evolution of this word, mind giving me a sentence where using "rôle" over "role" would be particularly apt? – Uticensis Mar 9 '11 at 1:44
@Billare: There is no good reason to use rôle anymore. My comment in the previous thread sums it up: the rôle of rôle is now being played by role. The plain English spelling has entirely supplanted the old spelling in modern usage; I wouldn't be at all surprised if more than ninety percent of the occurrences of rôle in the past fifty years were in discussions of whether to use rôle or role when writing. – bye Mar 9 '11 at 5:52
@Stan Rogers Thanks, Stan. – Uticensis Mar 9 '11 at 6:03
As an example: The casting director's role is mainly to find persons suitable for the rôle each is required to play. – Kris Oct 14 '12 at 15:03

As an Englishman, I always use rôle, despite Microsoft's disapproval! I think there may be something of a US/UK difference on this one. The OED lists both spellings without distinction.

The evolution of language is somewhat quirky. One never sees the word "hotel" written with a circumflex in English, as it is in French; but some people still insist on writing "an hotel" despite the fact that we, unlike the French, do voice the "h". It sounds particularly silly when someone says "an hotel", pronouncing the "h".

I expect the circumflex in rôle will eventually be completely dropped, but it is still generally considered more proper in the UK.

share|improve this answer
In general, Microsoft’s disapproval is usually a strong indication that you’re doing something right. – tchrist Feb 4 '14 at 14:41
In my experience, people who write "an hotel" either drop the "h" when they say it, or are British and are trying to speak in a manner they think is "correct". – Peter Shor Feb 4 '14 at 17:18
In case anyone thinks that using "rôle" is a "British thing", I'm British and I don't know anyone who would do this - it would seem quite pretentious to me, and definitely unnecessary. – Max Williams May 23 at 12:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.