English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of equipment that is used in films, like when saying "scene one, take two"? The equipment is usually black and white in color.

share|improve this question

Clapperboard. Though I've been told that in the US it is much more commonly known as slate.

Other names for the clapperboard include clapper, clapboard, slate, slate board, sync slate, time slate, sticks, board, and marker.

share|improve this answer
Bonus points for the picture of a clapperboard used in a black and white movie. – kiamlaluno Mar 7 '11 at 19:03
@kiamlaluno: voilà! – RegDwigнt Mar 7 '11 at 19:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.