English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am making a context diagram of a website and I noticed that the words I used for a user and the website's interaction are not consistent or cohesive.

I have been using the pairs of words below to indicate that a user requests to "see" a webpage:

enter image description here

a user "visits" a website and the webpage "views" (as a response to the user)

I can't find a more acceptable alternative for these two but I am sure there are better ones out there that I just don't know.

One more, what should I use if the page that a user wants to see is a popup or specifically a modal element (which means a user is not directed away from their current page)?

share|improve this question
A user that visits a website requests content, and the website (the server actually) serves the content that is requested. Content can be a page, or data on a page, or a file to download, or anything else. – oerkelens Feb 26 '14 at 14:22
@oerkelens, thank you, that's better! But how about if a "page" is a popup or modal? Is request/server still applicable? – Eduardo Feb 26 '14 at 14:23
@oerkelens understood. Thank you again! – Eduardo Feb 26 '14 at 14:25
Whatever data is served, is served. Whether that is visually formatted data (a webpage, a form, a pop-up) or raw data (web-page content data, an application file), it is still data that is served to the user. – oerkelens Feb 26 '14 at 14:25
The site pops or popups a window or dialog- if the user requested it, the user requested content and the page served it in a popup – mplungjan Feb 26 '14 at 15:05
up vote 2 down vote accepted

A user views and inputs. A website displays and outputs. A modal pop-up is called a modal window.

share|improve this answer
Yes. Another way of looking at the "two-way" interaction is that the user requests information, and the website delivers it. – FumbleFingers Feb 26 '14 at 16:08
@FumbleFingers - Exactly. Would use those two terms if talking about the network stack or some form of mode/language (http). When I see user and website though I usually stick to something more basic. – RyeɃreḁd Feb 27 '14 at 15:30

"Request" and "response" are the nouns typically used in HTTP specifications and libraries. "Request" and "respond" are the corresponding verbs.

share|improve this answer

For a pop-up window you could say the user invokes it, then after interacting with it dismisses it.

share|improve this answer
This is amazing thank you! – Eduardo Feb 27 '14 at 14:54

My Microsoft Manual of Style says to use "pop-up window". The reference was not specific to webpages, but the context was similar to what you describe.

Here's some of the entry from page 359

Do not use as a noun. Also do not use as a verb to mean open or appear.
'Pop-up window' is all right to use in references to windows that pop up in context-sensitive Help. Do not use 'pop-up window' as a synonym for dialog box.

share|improve this answer
It's not really a verb, is it? You are suggesting the user "pop-up" window the website, and then the website "pop-up window" the user? Since the OP asks for words to put at the arrows :) – oerkelens Feb 26 '14 at 14:57
The second part of the question had not yet been answered. The comments about serving a page were excellent responses that needed nothing more. ;) I should have been more clear and complete. Microsoft is very clear that that is exactly what you should not do. – Val Feb 27 '14 at 15:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.