English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I was an architectural technician, I used the spelling cill (e.g. window cill). I knew of one architect who used sill and stated that this was the older and more correct form.
My Concise Oxford Dictionary gives both but is weighted more towards sill.
Which version is the more accepted?

share|improve this question
I'm sure we're about to get 'the definitive answer' from those who 'just know', or more probably conflicting ones. Try raw Google counts for "window sill", "painted the cill" etc. Also, do comparisons on Google Ngrams. This won't give ' the answer', but will give you a feel for what to take on board. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 13 '14 at 11:33
As a non-native speaker who has absorbed English extensively for 4 decades, I can tell you that this is the first use of cill I have ever seen and even my spell checker baulks at it – mplungjan Feb 13 '14 at 12:39
As a native speaker, it is also the first time I have seen "cill". – nxx Feb 13 '14 at 14:56
I think the spelling cill has something to do with spandrels. I used to work in a design school in London, and I do remember something about this. I'll look around and see if I can find more information. – Tucker May 7 '14 at 10:06

In greater use? Sill.

Middle English sille, from Old English syll; akin to Old High German swelli beam, threshold First Known Use: before 12th century

This Google Ngram shows sill as being in greater use than cill.

share|improve this answer
Indeed, "window cill" is so close to flatlined for the period shown that it is effectively not in use at all. – Niel de Beaudrap Feb 13 '14 at 11:36
OED only lists cill as a (later) variant spelling of sill. Their first citation (for the "combined" entry) is 897 (spelt sylle). They have sille from 1400. The first instance of sill is 1651, followed by at least a dozen citations with that spelling before cill is first cited in 1823. – FumbleFingers Feb 13 '14 at 13:28
So between one and six uses of 'window cill' per thousand uses of 'window sill' over the twentieth century? No wonder I hadn't seen the first one before. – E.P. Feb 13 '14 at 14:44

Which is correct?

Both. They're both attested and have been used in perfectly good English.

Which should you use? Almost certainly sill because it's better-known, while cill is rare enough that some may not recognise it, or think it incorrect even though it isn't.

share|improve this answer

The full Oxford English Dictionary includes "cill" only as a historical variant spelling in the entry for "sill". Specifically, the entry's variant forms section includes "18 cill", meaning that they're only aware of it being used in the 1800s (as distinct from "18- cill", meaning 1800s to present).

As such, I would recommend using "sill"; both are correct but "cill" is seldom used in current English – add me to the list of native speakers who can't recall having seen it before.

share|improve this answer
It appears that the frame at the bottom of the door of a canal lock is referred to as a "cill". I came across this on a sign recently, so you can now subtract me from the list of native speakers who've not seen the term "in the wild"! – David Richerby Mar 11 '14 at 16:42

When I was at technical college in England in the 1970s, the ex-tradesmen/lecturers used the spelling cill which seems to tie in with the references here (window cill, cill of lock gate) to the use of cill as a technical term among professionals like builders, architects or engineers and the sill form among the general population.

This also explains the wide difference in frequency; there are fewer professionals than the general population. Hence the mere frequency of a word is not supportive of any arguments about correctness; however, the argument about wanting to APPEAR correct should be modified to match the audience for which one is writing; professional or general.

share|improve this answer

While at college in the 1970's we were taught cill by our lecturer and that is how I have always spelt it for windows etc. I have taught in a college for 18 years and that is the spelling I teach.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to EL&U. You may be unfamiliar with Stack Exchange; this is a Q&A site, not a discussion forum, and this answer has already been provided in a more comprehensive manner. I invite you to take the site tour and visit the help center for additional guidance. – choster May 7 '14 at 15:42

protected by choster May 7 '14 at 15:29

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.