English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

The outer brown part. What's a good/easy-to-understand to refer to it?

share|improve this question
You just did: the crunchy, crispy outermost portion of a fried egg. – tchrist Feb 13 '14 at 3:07
There's no word or set phrase for this. You just describe it as best you can. – Mitch Feb 13 '14 at 3:27
Boy that looks yummy – Hanky Panky Feb 13 '14 at 8:03
crispy or crisp was chosen as the answer but it can apply to any part of the egg. We are specifically talking about the edges and that's why added that part as well. – ermanen Feb 13 '14 at 15:03
up vote 5 down vote accepted

the crispy part? (of food, typically cooked food) having a pleasingly firm, dry, and brittle surface or texture; pleasantly thin, dry, and easily broken, appealingly crunchy

I would use the crisp of an egg. (having close stiff or wiry curls or waves)

share|improve this answer

"crispy edges" or "burnt edges" is easy to understand.

Note: These or similar phrases are used in "how to fry an egg" tutorials also. Especially how not to get them when frying.

For example:



share|improve this answer

'caramelized eggwhite' should do.

share|improve this answer
I would actually peg this as "not easy to understand" for two reasons: (1) eggwhite contains white, when the subject in question is brown; (2) caramelized refers to a specific process whose effects (browning) may not be known to the audience. In other words, it requires too much thought. – wchargin Feb 13 '14 at 4:57

Personally, I've always called it frizz - based on the verb defined there as...

to form into small, crisp curls or little tufts.

But I'm not very specific in my usage. That same word also does me for the little dribs of batter that fall off fried fish (when I'm not collectively calling them frazzles - frayed ends or remnants).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.