English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are they the same? What do they mean?

Here is the sentence:

I was one of the most experienced. All of us were judged by our ability to rake muck. The head muckraker was Frederica Jansz...

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

One who investigates and exposes issues of corruption that often violate widely held values.

share|improve this answer
thanks you. @Jen please pay attention to @UserID: he understood the question and provided a clear definition. +1 – Anderson Silva Mar 4 '11 at 14:42
That's a hugely tendentious definition! Did coverage of the former governor of California or the two former governors of New York -- "muckraking" in almost anyone's vocabulary -- "expose issues of corruption"? – Malvolio Jul 6 '11 at 21:06

See definition in this Wikipedia article. Muckraker is the noun (more widely used), rake muck the corresponding verb.

share|improve this answer
Note from the Wikipedia article that the term isn't always used positively. A journalist may see it as a badge of pride, but many others see it as implying the journalist enjoys making their targets miserable. – user1579 Mar 4 '11 at 13:31
what does this profound noun and verb mean? – Anderson Silva Mar 4 '11 at 14:41
See link to Wikipedia – The English Chicken Mar 4 '11 at 14:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.