English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need a single word that can be used to mean article (e.g. something printed in a magazine to inform readers or to argue something) and also story (i.e. some fictional short story printed in a literature publication).

Sometimes story is used to refer to a newspaper article, but readers will be confused if I simply use story as they might think I am excluding other types of non-fiction articles.

What term can I use to describe both kinds of writing?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

Often times, simply the term 'piece' as in 'piece of writing' is used.


I mainly do sports journalism, but I also write some fiction. I've had pieces published in The New Yorker, Sports Illustrated, and Esquire.

share|improve this answer
Strongly agreed. This is the proper term. – David M Feb 2 '14 at 5:12
A person would still need to qualify what "piece of writing" he or she did. "I've done several pieces for The New Yorker" could be about anything. – Mari-Lou A Feb 2 '14 at 12:45

If both are contributions to publications, you can use that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.