Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It seems awfully redundant to refer to it as "newspaper paper". Is there a word for the kind of low quality large format paper newspapers are printed on?

share|improve this question
General reference: see the second sentence at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper –  MετάEd Feb 1 at 20:51
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about something other than English. –  medica Feb 1 at 21:39
In addition to the other answers there is Broadsheet the largest newspaper format (as well as other formats like Berliner, Tabloid and Compact). These are the general sizes of the paper itself - Broadsheet 29 1⁄2 inches x 23 1⁄2 inches (749 mm x 597 mm) Berliner 12.4 inches x 18.5 inches (315 mm x 470 mm) Tabloid 11 inches x 17 inches (279 mm x 432 mm) Compact 4.25 inches x 6.75 inches (108 mm x 171 mm) –  Elliott Frisch Feb 1 at 21:52
@Susan- How is this not a word request for an English word? (I do agree that it's probably general reference, but I don't see how it's not about English.) –  Jim Feb 1 at 23:03
@MετάEd I thought so too, but the dozen up votes makes one wonder if most (no more than four) people here are aware of it. The times! –  Kris Feb 2 at 7:51
show 1 more comment

closed as off-topic by Kris, The English Chicken, Mari-Lou A, tchrist, Mitch Feb 10 at 18:43

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – Kris, The English Chicken, Mari-Lou A, tchrist, Mitch
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote 36 down vote accepted

It is often referred to as "stock", "pulp" or just plain "newsprint" at different stages of the business, anywhere from the mill to press and newsroom. (I do paginating/layout at a small paper.)

share|improve this answer
When I worked on a press, we called it stock. The layout guys liked calling it newsprint, go figure. They were a weird bunch. –  Geobits Feb 1 at 22:30
Stock isn't specific to newspaper-paper, though: anything you run through a press is 'stock' - which might be paper, plastic, fabric. etc. 'Stock' is even more generally used in all kinds of manufacturing, as in 'feed-stock': whatever bulk good you feed into a machine to make the finished product. If you want to be clear that you're talking about a stock which is used for printing newspapers, use 'newsprint', for sure. (I worked at a print shop doing pre-production, so I saw a lot of different stocks). –  Beejamin Feb 3 at 6:02
add comment

Such paper is called newsprint.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.