English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for the final stone of a foundation? Analogous to the word "cornerstone"?

share|improve this question
What about keystone? – Mike Jan 29 '14 at 22:36
I'm not sure builders would generally agree there's even such a thing as "the final stone of a foundation". In many constructions, the first one is easily identifiable (and is often referred to as just the foundation stone). The last structurally significant element is often called the capstone (here are 1000 written instances of "foundation to capstone"). But OP's request is for something that doesn't really have a real-world referent in any significant sense. – FumbleFingers Jan 29 '14 at 22:46

the cornerstone is technically a stone uniting any two masonry walls at an intersection, therefore all corners have cornerstones.

For use #2: "a stone representing the nominal starting place in the construction of a monumental building, usually carved with the date and laid with appropriate ceremonies." I would think the last foundation stone is your partner word(s).

I have searched for architectural references, but found only cornerstone and foundation stone(s). Apparently the last stone in a foundation does not deserve it's own appellation.

The opposite of foundation stone (which is originally what I thought you were asking) is the capstone: The top stone of a structure or wall. The crowning achievement or final stroke; the culmination or acme.

From Wikipedia: Coping (from cope, Latin capa), consists of the capping or covering of a wall.

I believe in BrE, it is cope stone.

share|improve this answer

Copestone, I think, is one choice.

share|improve this answer
A copestone is a capstone, which is mentioned in the other answer by @Susan as meaning the opposite of this concept. – paul Jan 30 '14 at 5:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.