English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word that connotes multiple strands of hair?

share|improve this question
If hair is the conversation piece....what is wrong with "strands"? – Aaron McIver Mar 3 '11 at 15:08
up vote 6 down vote accepted

That's usually referred to as a lock of hair. Multiple locks are tresses.

Edit: (Actually, tress is also a synonym for lock.) But one seldom hears tress in its singular form, whereas lock is familiar in either case.

a. A length or curl of hair; a tress.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I thought about lock, but what about hair that is long and straight? – The English Chicken Mar 3 '11 at 14:47
@Jen: locks don't have to be curly. – Robusto Mar 3 '11 at 14:52
I don't hear lock and think multiple strands of hair; I envision a "bunch" of hair. – Aaron McIver Mar 3 '11 at 15:07
@Aaron: Now you're splitting hairs. :) – Robusto Mar 3 '11 at 15:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.