English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have this term:

((x ,y, z))

and I need to describe in words that the x in this term should be outside the bars? Is this correct? outside the bars?

x ((y,z))

The position of the x doesn't matter, it could be also behind:

((y,z)) x

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

These - ( ) - are called 'parentheses' in English punctuation, but in maths they are called 'brackets'. In this situation I would say, 'x is outside the brackets'.

share|improve this answer
I thought brackets are this ones [] – Martin Fábik Mar 3 '11 at 9:27
I would call [] 'square brackets'. (In American English, [] are called just 'brackets' though.) The terminology used changes from context. In literature, () would be parenthesis; in maths, I would call it brackets. Similarly, {} in maths would be 'curly brackets' while in programming they would be called 'braces'. Have you heard of the term 'BODMAS' in maths, which is used to denote the order of operations? That's an an example of the term 'brackets' being used for () – Ankur Banerjee Mar 3 '11 at 9:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.