English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word to describe a person (it can be a term of animal behavior) who expresses his or her feelings frequently, particularly through facial expressions.

share|improve this question

Consider demonstrative

(of a person) tending to show feelings, especially of affection, openly.

share|improve this answer

You might also consider the word effusive

  1. expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner
share|improve this answer
effusive however is only for a select class of feelings (it doesn't address a person frequently expressing anger, for instance). – Sridhar Ratnakumar Sep 1 '15 at 4:41

Expressive is the word I would use here, such as, 'That person has an expressive face; it shows their emotions quite clearly.' Another suggestion may be emotive if they are always expressing how they feel.

Finally, the idiom "wears their heart on their sleeve" is used to describe someone who it's very easy to tell how someone feels.

share|improve this answer


From the ODO:

(Of a person) having feelings that are easily excited and openly displayed: he was a strongly emotional young man

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Sep 1 '15 at 5:16

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.