English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the proper word/phrase for SMS style language? Then one's which are commonly used while sending text messages, containing shortened words, phonetic spelling, multiple punctuations (????????????? instead of ?) etc.

Something like:

i dun feel the same way about any1 else + i kinda hate galz now , ......i dun want any of em now......my parents want to but i dun .......

I was guessing improper but wasn't sure.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by RegDwigнt Jan 10 '14 at 21:52

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – RegDwigнt
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

That's generally referred to as textspeak (or txtspk, if you want to be ironically self-referential). en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language – Hellion Jan 10 '14 at 21:35
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Jargon is the technical term.

There's an exhaustive list on the Wikipedia page for the subject:

txt-speak, txtese, chatspeak, txt, txtspk, txtk, txto, texting language, txt lingo, SMSish, txtslang,or txt talk

Some even consider it a unique dialect of the English language.

share|improve this answer

If you don't want to use a pejorative term, "jargon" is a set of terms and phrases with special meanings for a closed group.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.