Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a word that would describe something like a modern phone that retains a rotary dial. The dial's design was originally functional, but phone's function doesn't rely on the dial any more - it's just an aesthetic choice.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by FumbleFingers, medica, Brian Hooper, Andrew Leach, Rory Alsop Dec 31 '13 at 14:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Yes. Skeuomorph.

skeuomorph /ˈskjuːəmɔrf/ n. a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues from structures that were necessary in the original.

share|improve this answer
Thank you! This has been bothering me for days. – Josh Keneda Dec 31 '13 at 4:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.