English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Iran's possession of a nuclear weapon 'will surely upset the equilibrium of power.'

I need to replace the verb phrase with a noun/noun phrase.

share|improve this question
Hi, & welcome to EL&U. – medica Dec 28 '13 at 0:45
Thank you. Great community. Great website. – asef Dec 28 '13 at 0:48
Depending on your meaning, "tipping point" might work. It is a phrase that is perhaps over-used. – Michael Owen Sartin Dec 28 '13 at 3:15
@MichaelOwenSartin - might be too limited culturally as well. – medica Dec 28 '13 at 5:46
@Susan, I absolutely take your point. I'll be glad when I no longer hear 'tipping point,' but I thought it might serve a purpose here. If OP wants to use it he needs to see the good definition here: Tipping point -- the critical point in a situation, process, or system beyond which a significant and often unstoppable effect or change takes place from merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tipping%20point – Michael Owen Sartin Dec 28 '13 at 20:04

Iran's possession of a nuclear weapon will be a destabilising force.

The Spread of Nuclear Weapons in the Middle East: “more may be ... current unipolar structure the spread of such weapons is a major destabilising force. . . ."

share|improve this answer

Perturb works:

1: to cause to be worried or upset : disquiet 2: to throw into confusion : disorder 3: to cause to experience a perturbation

Nontechnically, the word might seem a little extreme for your purpose, but there is a technical extension that'll allow for more precise implications on your part: Perturbation theory.

share|improve this answer
Trying to tie in perturbation theory is probably a stretch -- a perturbation in this case is a small displacement that causes a small effect. – starwed Dec 28 '13 at 20:19
Sure, but 'destabilizing' for example implies the system is prone to catastrophe. Most systems when poked, reach at worst a slightly changed steady state, or 'equilibrium' in the common parlance. – Wayfaring Stranger Dec 28 '13 at 21:55
I was under the impression that OP wanted a word that implied exactly the opposite -- they specifically say that the equilibrium will be upset. – starwed Dec 28 '13 at 23:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.