English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, when you are a little hungry and you say "I'm starving", or when you are so tired and you say "I'm dying". What do you call these type of expressions? Just exaggerations? I don't know how to explain this better.

share|improve this question
Highly related to this question on A phrase to describe a collection of false exaggerations or even better, possible duplicate of it. – Gigili Dec 24 '13 at 13:55
Sometimes it's just called the Big E, often accompanied by a hand gesture in which the right thumb and forefinger make an arc and the left forefinger bisects it (forming a rough capital E to the viewer). – bib Dec 24 '13 at 22:23
up vote 36 down vote accepted

This is an example of hyperbole.

share|improve this answer
that's what i was looking for – raygo Dec 24 '13 at 13:53
And be careful with the pronunciation. It does not sound like "superbowl". – Ste Dec 24 '13 at 14:14
Way to go, Jasper. I knew you could do it. – Robusto Dec 24 '13 at 15:44
This is the best English.SO answer ever! – Garrett Albright Dec 24 '13 at 16:46
@GarrettAlbright Do meta-comments belong on meta? – Ex Umbris Dec 24 '13 at 18:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.