English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for someone who is incapable of getting their point across clearly or understanding other people.

I can only think of longer phrases.


Don't worry about Geoff's manner. He's not a people-person.

But I'm sure there's a more succinct term.

share|improve this question
Oh, and I'd like to preempt whoever was about to say "Computer Programmer" or suchlike. :-) – Urbycoz Dec 19 '13 at 12:07
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Does 'inarticulate' work in your context?

share|improve this answer
You'll get flagged for answering a question with a question ('Inarticulate' might be a word you find appropriate) (but note that RegDwight had already mentioned 'not articulate'). – Edwin Ashworth Dec 19 '13 at 17:48

Not well-spoken brings the point across without being too offensive. You can euphemize even further and use not too eloquent. Conversely, on the other side of the spectrum, there's not articulate.

If you need a noun, that of course would be not an orator.

share|improve this answer

You could describe the person as being introverted or an introvert in addition to them being shy or socially timid.

share|improve this answer
Introverts, shy and socially timid people are not necessarily bad communicators. They just don't like to do it. – Urbycoz Dec 19 '13 at 12:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.