English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The word used by non-American and many American Jews for stuffed cabbage is 'holishkes'. There are a few variations.

But I heard someone use a word that sounds like 'hole-up-tious'. I cheched numerous spellings such as holupzes, cholupzes, etc., but could not find anything.

I am assuming it is an American word used only in English because this family have been in the US for over eight generations (originally from Russia — but it is not a Russian-Jewish word).

Has anyone ever heard it before? There was one reference that looked similar in sound but it was quite obscure. I am wondering whether this is a regional word from a small group of Jews in NY, or perhaps just a family word.

share|improve this question

The word is "holiptshes". This article gives a lot of the etymological background.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.