English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word that basically means an element, alloy or compound. So if this was the word:

pickle (n)
    An element, alloy or compound.

Then copper, iron, steel, glass, tin etc... could all be referred to as 'pickles.'

share|improve this question
Isn't glass neither an element, alloy, nor compound? – augurar Dec 8 '13 at 0:26
up vote 1 down vote accepted

A substance (b: A material of a particular kind or constitution; AHDEL) may be what you're after.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.