English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word to describe a traditional interjection (in any language) made before drinking?

Examples include:

  1. Cheers! (English)
  2. ¡Salud! (Spanish)
  3. Prost! (German)
  4. !לחיים (Hebrew)

A close fit is toast, but this can also be used to describe any form of speech which is made before drinking, including long-winded soliloquies. I'm looking for a word that's more specific to traditional one- or two-word interjections.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I have only ever seen it referred to as a toast.

A toast may be as simple as raising a glass before you drink, or be a short comment ("L'chaim!") or, as you have pointed out, something more elaborate.

Tribute, salute, salutation, wassail, drink can be used, but toast is more popular.

share|improve this answer
If you proposed a wassail in our local, the barman probably wouldn't serve you any more drink. – Edwin Ashworth Dec 6 '13 at 9:42
I was hoping for something more specific, but thanks :) – p.s.w.g Dec 7 '13 at 17:02
Salute is pretty good, that'd be my next favorite. – fuzzyanalysis Dec 10 '13 at 8:11

The only words I can think of besides toast might be address, token, or honor, but these aren't as good as toast - just throwing them out there as alternatives.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.