English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call the rush of air you experience when riding on a motorcycle or in a speed boat?

I want to say breeze, but that is caused by the wind, not the movement of the vehicle.

Update: I am not looking for a technical term. I want to express this:

Riding my Harley, I felt the NOUN in my hair.

share|improve this question
Intended context might be helpful. Is this something techncial, something where poetic license could be taken, etc.? – Dusty Feb 24 '11 at 20:43
up vote 6 down vote accepted

As far as I know, there is no distinction made between air motion caused by natural means, air motion caused by mechanical means, and air motion experienced due to the observer being in motion while the air stands still; they're all "wind" or "breeze" or "gale" or "gust" or "zephyr" or "scirocco" or whatever other word suits the velocity of the air.

I stuck my head out the window to feel the cool breeze.

I relaxed in the gentle breeze from the fan.

I hate riding my motorcycle with a helmet on because it means I can't feel the wind in my hair.

share|improve this answer

In aerodynamic and aeronautics, it is called the relative wind. I don't know if there exist a non-technical to describe it.

share|improve this answer

I'd prefer rush of wind...

I know you are looking for one word, but I don't see a perfect one-word alternative, and rush of wind (not air) fits perfectly in poetic/emotional terms.

share|improve this answer

Riding my Harley, I could feel the wind whipping in my hair.

share|improve this answer

Certainly with airplanes you have the term "slipstream" to refer to the air coming from the propeller(s) and following the craft.

share|improve this answer
Slipstream is "the low pressure zone immediately following a rapidly moving object", rather than "the air coming from the propeller". – jwpat7 Feb 3 '12 at 16:17

I would suggest the word "gust".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.