English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Not sure how to phrase the question so, please, feel free to edit. Preferably without biting my head off. :)

I'm looking for the (technically) correct term to describe the box that delivers electricity to a home or workplace.

I've found "fuse box" and "electricity plant" but those are not quite correct. I'm looking for the correct name describing the boxy thingy that (formerly) had a rotating disc counting the kilowatt consumption, the reading of which is used for invoicing.

If there's a difference, I'd prefer US version but it's definitely not a requirement.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

One of these...

Electricity meter

...is an electricity meter. It appears to be the same in the US as well as the UK.

[Image source]

share|improve this answer
+1, but the whole panel might be called a distribution board. – Barrie England Dec 3 '13 at 10:11
+1 This is precisely what I'm looking for. And I can't believe it was that easy. Is there perhaps another name for the contraption as well? Something more technical and formal? – Konrad Viltersten Dec 3 '13 at 10:32
You might call it an inductive meter or induction meter as it uses induction to turn the disc which turns the dials, but normally no: it's just a meter. – Andrew Leach Dec 3 '13 at 10:44
In the US, it is much more commonly called electric meter – bib Dec 3 '13 at 13:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.