English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for playgoers' behavior when hissing and booing the villain?

share|improve this question
Alternatives, yes, but hissing and booing is the traditional terminology for what goes on at a panto. – bye Feb 22 '11 at 17:41
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The crowd as a whole, or members of it, could be razzing or heckling.

Some people in the crowd might be a little more obnoxious than others and engage in badgering or taunting, although those are generally more appropriate for a one-on-one situation.

share|improve this answer
thankyou, would heckling include derogatory comments – iminei Feb 22 '11 at 18:39
thank you all, heeckling is the very woord, i was worried that it wouldn't be abusive enough...but it seems that it is. – iminei Feb 22 '11 at 19:16

You can use jeer, catcall, heckle, or hoot.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.