English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

See picture -- is there a better term than glass elevator?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
I've often thought that it was interesting that we call them elevators at all, given that they spend 50% of their time going down, not up... ;-) – mickeyf Feb 21 '11 at 15:08
@mickeyf - it may not be that it 'elevates' you, but that it changes your 'elevation'. – Tester101 Feb 21 '11 at 17:24
I call them awesome. I don't know about you. – advs89 Feb 21 '11 at 21:30
up vote 11 down vote accepted

[I used to work in an elevator company]

We usually referred to these as "panoramic elevators". (Google returns a few hundred thousand hits on this).

share|improve this answer
panoramic elevator (with quotes): 571 thousand, pictures – user3812 Feb 21 '11 at 15:56

Observation elevator or sightseeing elevator.

I think observation elevator is more commonly used, as Google returns pictures and more results (76 thousand vs. 44 thousand, with quotes).

share|improve this answer

It depends on whether you are referring to the glass-ness of them, or the 'inside-out-ness', in which case you could say 'external elevator', though I've no idea if that's the 'official' term.

share|improve this answer

Yes, in some parts of the anglosphere, "glass lift" (or indeed panoramic lift) is a better term :-)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.