Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If police set up a trap in order to either identify or even catch a thief (e.g. by means of a bait car, or a special invisible dye on bank notes), is the general term for such a ploy a "thieves trap"?

share|improve this question
What have you found on the internet? – Edwin Ashworth Nov 1 '13 at 19:51

1 Answer 1

I think you're looking for the term sting operation


share|improve this answer
According to Jona Lewie, an alternative term is "Police Trap." See… – Sven Yargs Nov 2 '13 at 1:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.