English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So what's the opposite of feeding material to a machine? Are products ejected or discharged? While I think this may apply to a fast process where the product gets tossed out or dumped onto a hopper/bin, what is an appropriate term for a slower process?

The oven __ the pizza.
The pizza is __ from/by the oven.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

In this case, I think the most common phrase would be "the pizza emerges from the oven". Similarly, a photograph would emerge from a printer (although text documents may well be spit out of some of the larger production printers).

I can also imagine a process like this being phrased in terms of the mechanism performing the action rather than the machine as a whole. For example, "the conveyor belt moves/carries the pizza from the oven to the holding area".

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure emerge nails it, but "the pizza is moved out of the machine with the conveyor belt" seems OK to me - thanks, – user5000 Feb 19 '11 at 21:33

"to emit" is a nice term. Another that popped in my head immediately was "disgorged", but that is sloooow. Or at least it sounds that way (and it sounds slightly disgusting).

share|improve this answer
I only know of emission in the context of radiation or particles (but I'm not a native speaker). – user5000 Feb 19 '11 at 21:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.