English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some business premises have these small areas just outside the building that employees can go during break to sit, smoke, and hang out. It has benches or picnic tables, garbage cans, and a cover for protection from rain, etc. What do you call these areas? Is there a name for them?

share|improve this question
A smoking area? – Roaring Fish Oct 14 '13 at 1:04
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Since it isn't a room, you might call it an employee break area.

That link is a Google image search for the phrase, which returns several results that fit your description.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.