Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are many typographical symbols, for example:

  • The pilcrow (¶) is used for paragraphs.
  • The asterisk, dagger and double dagger (*,†,‡) for footnotes.
  • The hurricane (§) for sections.

Is there any symbol for pages?

share|improve this question
add comment

migrated from writers.stackexchange.com Oct 11 '13 at 14:36

This question came from our site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers.

2 Answers

I'm not aware of a symbol; I use p. or pp. for single or multiple pages.

(and is the section symbol really called "hurricane"? that's amusing.)

share|improve this answer
I never knew those paragraph markers were called pilcrows ... –  bamboo Oct 11 '13 at 14:53
@bamboo Unicode has three distinct pilcrows, and many fonts have additional ones. ‭ ¶ U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN; ‭ ⁋ U+204B REVERSED PILCROW SIGN; ‭ ❡ U+2761 CURVED STEM PARAGRAPH SIGN ORNAMENT. Just as he does with ampersands, Bringhurst advises using the nicest looking pilcrow the font contains, which is often an alternate swash character. –  tchrist Oct 11 '13 at 14:59
Hmm, thanks for that, but the only time I've seen them is when I've got Word set to 'reveal codes' and you can see them at the beginning of every line. That's the total extent of any techie knowledge I've got! –  bamboo Oct 12 '13 at 12:53
From wikipedia: The section sign (§, Unicode U+00A7, HTML entity §) is a typographical character used mainly to refer to a particular section of a document. It is also called "double S", "hurricane", "sectional symbol", "the legal doughnut", signum sectiōnis. –  Pedro L. Oct 12 '13 at 13:24
@bamboo It is a corruption of French "paragraphe". –  ex-user2728 Oct 12 '13 at 14:51
add comment

In addition to the answer offered by Lauren Ipsum, the electronic era of document control has introduced a number of symbols for page through the requirement to mark a page break. In particular, form feed is used to denote the end of the current page and the start of a new page. The symbol for form feed is represented in a number of ways:

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.