English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a programmer and I'm looking for a single word that works for the following scenario:

  • I have a list of basic information about people, I call this list the 'user repository'.

  • I need a word for "to view and change more detailed information about a person". I've thought of using words like refine and elaborate, but they don't seem to quite fit the idea that the data can be viewed and changed.

share|improve this question
"user database" may be used. But thats not a single word again. In that case, how did u think of using refine and elaborate? – uma Oct 11 '13 at 9:53
I thought of them because I was trying to think of how I would describe something in more detail. – Adam Rivers Oct 11 '13 at 9:59
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I don't think you'll find a single word that does quite what you want, but you may be able to contrast user details with a user profile or user summary held in the repository. I guess that you can see the details of multiple users at a time when viewing the repository. Whatever you use you'll probably be best off with a phrase for the detailed information, paired with "view" or "edit" as necessary.

You may find more help at UX, for example they have questions like User Profile, My Account, or just Settings? suggesting that your question may be on topic there.

share|improve this answer

Still there is no single word but in some extent "Detailed" and "Non-Detailed" will work . I am not sure this will substitute your purpose.

share|improve this answer

'update' or 'modify' are used to describe viewing and changing the user profile.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.