English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I have a software that encrypts data, how do I refer to it? 'Encryptor'?

share|improve this question
Yes. Encrypter; also, encryptor 'A thing, such as an algorithm, a program, or a device, that encrypts.' en.wiktionary.org/wiki/encrypter#English – Kris Oct 8 '13 at 13:46
Enigmator? Confabulator? Obfuscator? Cryptonomicon? (Whoops. That one is already taken!) – bib Oct 8 '13 at 16:19
@Kris: Thanks, 'Encrypter' is my choice. – Dor Oct 9 '13 at 14:18
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It could be referred to as an encoder or as encryption software/application.


share|improve this answer
I've accepted you answer cuz it's closer to the one suggested by 'Kris', which is 'Encrypter'. Also 'encoder' looks pretty good. – Dor Oct 9 '13 at 14:17
@Dor Note, though, that encoding and encryption are two different things. – snailplane Oct 12 '13 at 22:16

Enigma was a cipher machine. Since yours is made of software, it's be a virtual cipher machine. Cipher engine and Ciphering engine are also used, and may be more appropriate for a software construct.

share|improve this answer
Enigma was indeed a "cipher machine". However, today nobody uses the word "cipher" for serious cryptographic applications. You will give the impression that you know nothing about cryptography, and that your encryption software can be easily broken. Here is evidence from Google Ngrams – Peter Shor Oct 8 '13 at 18:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.