English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I"m looking for a word that describes the process or act of identifying a shape, symbol, or whatever from another shape.

For instance, if you look at clouds, sometimes you see an animal, or shape. In TV, there was an episode where a person saw a divine image on a grilled cheese (i.e., grilled cheesus). Johnny Carson famously brought on a woman who had various shaped potato chips (of which he acted like he ate one, much to the shock and horror of the poor woman).

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Pareidolia: The tendency to interpret a vague stimulus as something known to the observer, such as interpreting marks on Mars as canals, seeing shapes in clouds, or hearing hidden messages in music.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.